Sunday, January 10, 2010

Questioning The Term "Normal"

I'm beginning to believe that anything that has ever changed will make you miss the past, if only you think about it long enough.

***

Often times I find myself longing for feelings that I once felt, yearning for things that I once had, and feeling as though I need people that I once knew. I find myself deeply missing a life I once lived; Many lives I once lived. It isn't that I'm not happy at the time being --I am. I am completely content with the life that I currently live. You see, I don't only desire the good things about my past, I desire the bad things as well. The bad feelings, the hard times, just about anything that I have ever experienced. Actually, it's everything: I miss everything. Everything that I have ever loved, and everything I have ever lost. Everything that I have ever owned, everything that has ever made up any little part of "me."

It's a strange feeling, having such a strong desire for things that are now of little importance to me, and having no logical explanation of why I miss them. (Considering how genuinely content and sincerely happy I am with my life as it is now.) Which brings me to my questions of topic:

*Is it simply human nature to yearn for the way things once were? Despite whatever that is, or, was?
*And if so, is it because everything in our past made up what we once considered "normal?"
*And what, exactly, is "normal" anyway? -The way things were? The way things are? Or the way things will be?

Is it just me or did life just become a whole lot more complex?

No comments:

Post a Comment